Take these 10 food for Optimal Brain Health and say Goodbye to Memory Loss !!
Whatever you eat has an impact not only on your body and looks but also it takes a toll on your brain. In the previous article “ARE YOU KILLING YOUR BRAIN BY NOT EATING THESE FOOD ?”, one can learn the effect of the nutrients on ones brain health. To be more specific, certain food helps your brain to improve cognitive ability, retain and process new information, and improves your understanding and focus. These food even hold the key to keeping your brain rejuvenated and increasing its longevity. Check out the top 10 food for optimal brain health.
TOP 10 FOOD FOR OPTIMAL BRAIN HEALTH
- FAT – Rich in mono-saturated Fat, decreases LDL Cholesterol and increases blood flow leading to a healthy brain.
- POTASSIUM – Keeps blood pressure in control reducing the risk of stroke, improves cognitive ability and promotes brain health.
- FOLATE – Prevents blood clot and helps in cognitive function.
- ESSENTIAL VITAMINS – Rich in Vitamin K, B ,E and C. These Vitamins prevent hardening of blood vessels, thereby decreases risk of strokes. High doses of Vitamin E can neutralize free radicals and the buildup of proteins to reverse the memory loss in Alzheimer’s patients.
2. Oily Fish
- OMEGA 3 FATTY ACID – Helps to build up the Brain cell membrane, prevents Depression and improves overall Brain health and function.
- DHA – Builds brain tissues, restores neurons and improves synapses. DHA deficiency diminishes learning abilities for young people.
- VITAMIN D – Vitamin D acts with other nutrients, such as calcium, to improve healthy brain nerves, enhance cognitive abilities, and contribute to quickness of the thought processes.
- PROTEIN AND AMINO ACID– The body breaks down the protein to make amino acid which further helps in proper functioning of the brain. It increases the efficiency of Neurotransmitter which is responsible of carrying and conveying information.
- CHOLINE – Choline, a Vitamin B Complex, makes acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter is important for maintaining memory and communication among brain cells. Choline in a mothers diet help prevent birth defect.
- PROTEIN – A very high quality of Protein helps in making Glucose which is vital; for proper brain functioning.
4. Nuts and Seeds
- Walnut – Most beneficial for brain. Loaded with Omega 3, DHA, Vitamin E. and Folate.
- Almonds & Hazelnut – Most concentrated amount of Vitamin E.
- Peanuts – High in Niacin, deficiency of which causes cognitive decline and increases risk of Alzheimer’s
- Flaxseed – Rich in Omega3 Fatty Acid and Fibre.
- Pumpkin Seeds – Contain powerful Antioxidant and are rich in Zinc, Magnesium and Copper. These are essential for healthy brain and immune system.
- Antioxidant – Contain high amounts of antioxidant that protects the brain cells from damage.
- Adding blueberries to your diet can increase the birth rate of brain cells in the hippo-campus – the brain region responsible for memory
- Berry fruits also change the way that neurons in the brain communicate, and this may prevent inflammation in the brain that can damage neurons.
- Vitamin K helps to strengthen cognitive abilities while Choline has been found to improve memory
- Loaded with Folic Acid.
- Brocolli contains a chemical known as sulforaphane, which can help improve cognitive functions after a traumatic brain injury.
- Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory property.
- Lutein helps protects the neurons in the brain and increases the problem solving ability of the brain.
- Provides glucose, or blood sugar, which is your brain’s basic fuel.
- Contain choline, which is needed for the body to produce an important neurotransmitter for memory called acetylcholine.
- Excellent source of Vitamins E, B complex, and zinc to help your brain work their best.
- Packed with Fiber which keeps you full and resist your temptation to snack on junk food.
8. Dark Chocolate
- Rich in Flavanols that get absorbed and accumulate in the brain regions involved in learning and memory, especially the hippocampus,.These flavanols increase blood flow to the brain, promote the formation of new neurons, improve the functioning of neurons and enhance connections between neurons.
- Dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa—70 percent or more—has a lot of these beneficial phytochemicals which protect neurons from death by free radicals.
- They even boosts the production of “feel-good” chemicals called endorphins.
9. Green Tea
Green tea is the least processed and the only tea that is not fermented.
- Contains EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), which has Antioxidant, Anti-Inflammatory, and Anti-Aging Properties. It makes you more resilient to stress of all kinds.
- L-theanine is an amino acid that has a relaxing effect which can put you in the ideal state of “calm attentiveness.”It can sharpen focus and concentration, while reducing stress and enhancing overall well-being. It raises levels of the neurotransmitters and improves recall, learning, motivation, and positive mood.
- L-theanine and caffeine together can help you perform better on cognitively demanding tasks than caffeine alone, yet will leave you less wired.
- Contain Lycopene and beta-carotene(Vitamin A) which are powerful antioxidants.
- Vitamin C has similar effects, providing protection against inflammation and other effects of free radical damage.
- Tomatoes contain Vitamin B6, which is incredibly effective in keeping your mind sharp. Deficiency has been linked to such conditions as Dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Click here to know how the nutrients in your food affects our brain.
Click here to know which cooking method helps you to preserve the nutrient of the food you eat.