How to get a Good Sleep ?
What does the mind do when we sleep ?
When we sleep, the neurons in our brain are still active. Sleep serves to re energize the body’s cells, clear waste from the brain, and support learning and memory. It even plays vital roles in regulating mood, appetite and libido.
The brain makes some interesting and unexpected connections between things while we are sleeping. That is why we often get new ideas when we wake up. Good sleep leads to productivity. Hence, it is very essential to establish a sleep routine.You pump out growth hormones.Even if you’re not growing taller, you’re always growing: building muscle cells after a tough workout, healing a cut from dicing onions for dinner etc.
Babies : 14-18 hrs
Toddlers : 11 – 14 hrs
Children : 10-11 Hrs
Adult : 7-9 hrs
NOTE : One needs to pay equal attention not just to the quantity but as well as quality of sleep.
Good Sleep Establishing Habits :
1. You must have discipline. Follow a sleep routine everyday. That applies to weekends as well. Go slow and gradual. The more randomness you have, the more restless your brain gets leading you to a disturbed sleep.
2. Pay attention to the decor of your bedroom – soothing color, cool temperature, dim light and no harsh sound.
3. Exercise regularly but never too close to bedtime. A little stretching before bedtime is fine.
4. Avoid consuming sugary stuff, alcohol, caffeine and lots of fluid before going to bed.
5. Always have an early and light dinner.
6. If you have a worry, make sure to write it down before you sleep.
7. Prepare for the next day – Journal all your work which you need to get done and stop thinking about those. Get your clothes ready the night before.
8. Pamper yourself before sleeping – a relaxing bath or a cleansing routine.
This helps you wind down.
9. Avoid social media and limit television. That makes our mind anxious.
10. Read a book before sleeping not a magazine with dozens of pictures.
11. When you are not able to get the required amount of sleep, try to rest or take a nap in the day. Meditate or go for a walk for twenty minutes twice a day.
Top 10 Sleep Inducing FOOD :
Apart from lifestyle changes, consuming certain food also help in sleeping well through out the night.
1. Walnut and Almonds
These nuts have amino acids that produces sleep-inducing melatonin. When mixed with milk and honey they make a very comforting bedtime snack. Contain both tryptophan and magnesium, which is a muscle relaxant.
2. Dairy – Milk, yogurt and cheese
Dairy food contain tryptophan, which is a sleep-promoting substance.
Rich in tryptophan. It contains high amount of magnesium which is a muscle relaxant.>
The high amount of Vitamin B in oats helps to beat stress, the main reason for insomnia. Besides, it aids in digestion and supports good liver health. Oats also increase production of tryptophan. Furthermore, it is high in melatonin that regulates your sleep cycle.
5. Tart Cherry juice
This juice is a natural source of the sleep-wake cycle hormone melatonin and amino acid tryptophan. Proanthocyanidins or the ruby red pigments in the juice, contain an enzyme that reduces inflammation and decreases the breakdown of tryptophan, letting it go to work longer in your body.
6. Oily Fish
Fish oil plays a role in enhancing the secretion of melatonin. Fish oil components EPA and DHA have also been shown to lower norepinephrine levels. Norepinephrine is a stress hormone associated with the fight-or-flight response and works to increase heart rate. It is also one of the major neurotransmitters associated with sleep – the other being serotoni. Studies have shown that boosting levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in oily fish, resulted in children sleeping for longer and waking up less in the night.
These are very high in Vitamin B6 which plays a big role in the synthesis of neurotransmitters, in particular serotonin. Serotonin is synthesised from tryptophan and eventually is converted into melatonin. While vitamin B6 is not the object of these conversions, it serves as a co-enzyme and makes sure the conversions run smoothly.
Kiwis have the highest amount of Serotonin. Studies have found that eating kiwis on a daily basis led to significant improvements in both sleep quality and sleep quantity.
9. Herbal Teas
Passionflower, valerian root, chamomile, magnolia bark etc can all be used in tea — either separately or combined with other ingredients — to promote a sense of calmness and relaxation. These tea produces stress fighting hormones and helps in relaxation and better sleep.
10. Leafy Greens
Leafy greens like Spinach and Kale are high in Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium. All these compounds help in the production of melatonin.
Things to keep in mind :
Sleep is just like a marination that we do to our mind. Our thoughts before our sleep have a powerful impact on our following day. Hence, always end your day with positivity and gratefulness. No matter how your day was, look forward with faith and hope. Think about your goals and objectives. Your brain would process and manifest those. The more the manifestation, the closer you get to your goals.
When you are not able to control your thoughts, practice Gratitude. Say “Thank You”.Think about the good things and the blessings you have in your life and feel happy. Always remember that a Happy Heart Rests Well.
Do you have a night-time routine or a sleep ritual ? Do let us know what works for you.
Sleep Well and Sweet Dreams !!